Lohja Parish in English
Welcome! The parish of Lohja, located in the city of Lohja (in Swedish Lojo) in Southern Finland about 50km from the capital city of Helsinki, is an Evangelical Lutheran parish with 34 592 members (73% of the population). The parish belongs to Espoo diocese and is led by the vicar, Juhani Korte.
The main church of the parish, the Church of St. Lawrence, is a medieval church located in the town centre. The late-gothic style church was built somewhere between 1470 and 1490 and it is the 3rd largest medieval parish church in Finland. The rustic and naive murals from early 16th century make the church one of the most valuable medieval buildings in Finland. The murals depicted biblical stories for the illiterate population. Prior to the Protestant Reformation and the introduction of Lutheranism into Finland, the church served as the Roman Catholic Church. The great wooden crucifix hanging from the vault roof is from the 15th century and it is beliebed that it´s made in the city of Turku, Finland.
Other churches in Lohja parish are the neoclassical Nummi Church, wooden Sammatti Church, romanesque Karjalohja church, wooden Pusula Church and wooden Kärkölä Church.
Services are principally held in the following way:
- St. Lawrences Church - Sundays at 10:00 am
- Services will be broadcasted live through Radio Dei, 107,2 MHz, in Finnish/Swedish
- Nummi Church - Sundays at 10:00 am
- Pusula Church - Sundays at 12:00 pm
- Sammatti Church - Sundays at 12:00 pm
- Karjalohja Church - Sundays at 10:00 am
Lohja parish offers different kinds of groups and activities for everyone regardless of age. We have 10 different choirs, small children´s music school, sauna evenings, camps for adults and youth and we offer help if you´re facing difficult times in life.
Lohja parish has three sister parishes around the world;
- Kőbánya parish in Budapest, Hungary
- Hageri parish, Saku parish district in Estonia
- Toksova (Токсово) parish in Ingria
St. Lawrence´s church
Kärkölä village church