The wooden church of Pusula, which represents neo-gothic style, was completed in 1838. Pusula church was designed by the architect C. L. Engel. A small chapel and two earlier churches have once stood in the same place as the yellow church we see today. The church is located in the center of Pusula village and there are seats for 750 people.
The graveyard around Pusula church was taken into use at the beginning of the 17th century when the first chapel was built.
The first and the second church
Funds were raised from all of the houses in Pusula to build the first church in 1631. Permission to build the church was granted in 1637 and the church was completed in 1640. The construction of the second church was started in 1691 and that church was completed in 1697. In 1763 a decision was made to build a separate bell tower for church bells. This wooden red tower is still standing in Pusula and is used all year round.
The current church
The council of the country church parish of Pusula decided to build the current church in 1834. The building task was given to build master Henrik Andsten from Helsinki. Soon after the completion of the church, it was noticed that severe mistakes were made in planning and building the church; the roof was too heavy for walls to be able to carry its weight. Work for repairing Pusula church started in 1858 resulting in lowering the church roof by 8 meters. Reparation was finished in 1859 but there are still strong metal beams inside the church supporting the walls from tilting inwards or outwards.
Points of interest
The altar painting in the Pusula church was painted by Felix Frang from Urjala in 1921. The painting shows crucified Christ. More paintings were ordered 15 years later during the renovation of the church, this time from artist Urho Lehtinen. Two smaller paintings are located on both sides of the altar painting. These paintings show the Fall of Man and resurrection. Also, the walls of the organ lecter and the pulpit are painted by Lehtinen.
There are two small wooden sculptures in Pusula church dating back to the Middle Ages. The sculptures were moved to Pusula church from St. Lawrence’s church in Lohja and they are thought to be foreign-made.
The organ in Pusula church was made by organ factory Kangasala in 1936. Most of the organ pipes were taken from the earlier organ of the church which was made by organ factory Normann in Tallinn.